The teamArchie Clipper Race Bursary
teamArchie are very excited to offer a bursary for a deserving young person to take part in one leg of the Clipper 2019-20 Round the World Yacht Race.
The Clipper Race
The Clipper Round the World Yacht Race is a unique 40,000 mile race around the world, over eight legs, between a fleet of identical 70’ racing yachts. The yachts are skippered by professionals and crewed by amateurs of all ages, from all backgrounds from around the world, many of whom will never have set foot on a boat before embarking on the training programme. The 2019-2020 edition of the race will start from a port in the UK in August 2019 and return to the same port, 11 months later, in July 2020. Each leg is approximately a month long. Visit The Clipper Round the World Yacht Race website for more information.
teamArchie is a charitable foundation set up in 2015 in memory of Archie Lloyd, a young man who tragically died in 2015, aged 18, whilst travelling with friends. The charity awards bursaries to create opportunities for young people to make the most of their lives and of themselves, aiming to swing the pendulum of opportunity in favour of those who deserve a helping hand, in part because they really want to be the best that they can be, but also because they have proven that they have the desire but cannot get the necessary support they need to make it happen.
The teamArchie Clipper Race Bursary
The teamArchie Clipper Race Bursary will fund the fee for participation in either Leg 1 (UK to South America – August/September 2019) or Leg 8 (North America to UK – June/July 2020)*, the cost of four weeks’ compulsory pre-race training, and a branded crew clothing pack. The total approximate value of the bursary is £13,000.
(* It may be possible to choose another leg, but this will be solely at teamArchie’s and Clipper Venture’s discretion).
Over the four weeks’ training, race preparation and on the race leg itself, you will not only become an accomplished ocean racer but, more importantly, you will learn a huge amount about yourself, about teamwork, leadership, mental and physical endurance, you will learn new skills, make enduring friendships, and you will witness Mother Nature at her most beautiful and most extreme. It is no exaggeration to say that it could be a life-changing experience.
In selecting candidates for this bursary, teamArchie will be looking for people who:
* are aged between 18 (as at the date of their participation in the race) and 24;
* ideally have some experience of sailing, even if limited;
* can demonstrate why they are deserving of this bursary award;
* can show the right personal qualities, a determination to make the most of themselves, and demonstrate that seizing this opportunity will provide a stepping stone towards making the most of their lives in the future;
* are available to undertake the four weeks’ compulsory training between now and race participation, and available to participate in either Leg 1 or Leg 8 on the dates indicated;
* are prepared to raise additional funds (c.£750 - £1,000) themselves to help cover certain additional costs (personal insurance; travel to and from the interview, training and race stopovers as necessary; additional personal kit, etc.);
* are willing to be actively involved in teamArchie on their return by helping to mentor other young people who the charity chooses to support in the future.
The Clipper Race Training Programme
In order to participate in the race, the successful applicant will be required to undergo the compulsory four week training programme run by Clipper Ventures, the race organisers.
Run from Clipper Venture’s UK training base in Gosport, Hampshire, the training is broken up into four separate levels of one week each. The training programme runs up to the race start in August 2019. For anyone participating in a later leg of the race, in exceptional circumstances it may be possible to complete the final week of training once the race is underway, but you should work on the assumption that all training will need to be completed by August 2019.
Click here for more details on the four levels.
The Selection Process
* Fill out the application form for the teamArchie Clipper Race Bursary.
* The deadline for receipt of applications is Friday 26th October 2018.
* From all applications received, a shortlist will be chosen for interview.
* Interviews will take place in the UK in November 2018, with the interview panel consisting of representatives from teamArchie and Clipper Ventures.
* Depending on the outcome of the interviews, it is possible that two candidates may be invited to undertake the first week of the training programme. Following this, based on a debrief with each candidate and feedback from the training skipper, a successful candidate will be chosen to complete the training programme and participate in the race leg.
* The successful candidate(s) will be required to contract directly with Clipper Ventures, and to abide by all rules imposed by them. Copies of legal documentation, contracts, disclaimers etc. will be made available by Clipper Ventures at the interview stage.
Any questions about this Bursary or the application process should be addressed to teamArchie at email@example.com.
GOOD LUCK. WE’RE EXCITED ABOUT RECEIVING YOUR APPLICATION FOR THIS LIFE-CHANGING OPPORTUNITY!